2023 Gunwerks Sheep Mountain Shootout
MDs: Landon Michaels and Neal Emery
Location: Cody, Wyoming
Dates: June 9-11, 2023
Cost: $175-$300 per individual. $600 for Teams
Dates: June 9-11, 2023
Check-in/Weigh-in: 61 Rd 7Wc, Cody, WY 82414 @ Cody Shooting Complex
To the Sheep Mountain Staging Area: 44.46984, -109.27006
- From the Cody, Wyoming Rodeo grounds on the west end of Cody, Drive 11.6 miles West on Highway 14 through the tunnels and past Buffalo Bill Reservoir.
- At approximately 11.6 miles, at the upper end of Buffalo Bill Reservoir, turn south onto Road 6Kv and continue over the bridge across the North Fork Shoshone River.
- After .6 miles, the road will split. Turn left (East) onto Stagecoach Trail.
- Continue winding along the shore of Buffalo Bill Reservoir for 4.1 miles to a turn-off and parking area on the right.
Join Gunwerks in Cody, Wyoming for the first ever Sheep Mountain Shootout!
The aptly-named Sheep Mountain, located 18 miles west of Cody, Wyoming is arguably one of the most visually stunning venues to date in the NRL Hunter series with the area home to Rocky Mountain Bighorn Sheep, Rocky Mountain Elk, Mule Deer, Antelope, Black Bear, Wolves, Coyotes, and Prairie Dogs. This new venue for the 2023 season will test even the best hunters with high angle shots and extremely difficult wind conditions.
This hunting simulated event will consist of 18 stages. Round count will be 72-144 rounds, depending on your skill level completing each stage with either 1st round impacts, vs misses/2nd round impacts, but bring extra for getting velocity/PF for your tiebreaker, and zero’ing your rifle. The average target distance will be 400 yards, but expect anywhere from approximately 150 – 1,000 yards. This event is located at approximately 6,000-6,800ft elevation, directly at the confluence of the famous North and South Forks of the Shoshone River and situated overlooking Buffalo Bill Reservoir with breathtaking views.
June in Northern Wyoming often offers the best weather of the year, but we could easily see everything from snow to 100F temps. Thunderstorms are common this time of year, so come prepared!
The terrain on sheep mountain is big and open, with interspersed sage brush and conifers. Steep angles prevail and due to the geography of the area, winds are notoriously tricky. This layered on with the surprisingly complex terrain will offer challenges for even the most accomplished hunter!
COMPLIMENTARY YOUNG GUN SLOT Please email firstname.lastname@example.org with Subject Line: “2023 Sheep Mountain Shootout – 1 Young Gun Slot”, and in the description please provide the following: 1. Name of the Parent/Guardian responsible for the Young Gun, 2. the Name of the Young Gun, 3. the intended Rifle Division (Factory, Open Light, Open Heavy) for the Young Gun.
SEEKING RANGE OFFICERS
IF you’re interested in ROing this event, please submit to the following RO Application: bit.ly/Sheep-Mountain-Shootout_2023ROApplication. Anyone may apply, however, space is limited and not guaranteed.
To help us reward quality ROs during the 2-day event, vetted individuals will be offered a complimentary slot for an opportunity to complete all stages in 1-day timeframe (on the RO Shoot Day). This will be for points amongst the other hunters and for prize eligibility. The opportunity at this is set to take place on the competitor Check-in Day.
When sharing images of your pre- or post-event experience, please utilize hashtags #Gunwerks #SheepMountainShootout #NRLHunter #EveryEthicalEdge
Follow @Gunwerks and @RevicOptics
Join Sheep Mountain Shootout in FB Group, and/or Event Page for updates!
Skills Division (formerly Basic) – $175 (Individual)
Individual Hunter – $300
Team Hunters (2) – $600
*There are no refunds. Transfers will be accepted upon MD approval and via email. The slot owner must email email@example.com the new hunter’s name and email address, and wait for approval.
FRIDAY, JUNE 9TH
RO SHOOT DAY
- 6:00AM – RO’s Briefed
- 6:30AM – RO shoot for points & prizes amongst all hunters (all stages)
HUNTER CHECK-IN/WEIGH-IN DAY
- Location: Cody Shooting Complex
- 12:00PM – 5:00PM: Hunter Check-in/Weigh-in/Velocity/Zero Range
- 12:00PM – 5:00PM – Vendor Day
- 12:00PM – 5:00PM – Side Matches
- 6:00PM – 8:00PM – Optional Dinner, Meet N’ Greet & Shop Tours @Gunwerks HQ
SATURDAY, JUNE 10TH
- 6:00AM – Meet at Sheep Mountain Staging Area (sunrise in WY this time of year is 5:30)
- 6:30AM – Hunter Safety Briefing (must be present to shoot)
- 7:00AM – Hunters to Stages
- 7:30AM – Intended time to begin hunting steel (12 Stages)
- Lunch Provided
- 2:30PM – Intended time of Day 1 completion
Day 1 we will shoot from the upper course on Sheep Mountain. Access is via rough, steep, high clearance, 4wd road. We have room for approximately 20 vehicles parking. We ask that you carpool. You may choose to drive, but we ask that if you do, leave all seats open to haul as many shooters as your vehicle can carry, otherwise, hop in with someone else. The road is too steep and rough for shooters to ride in the bed of trucks.
In the case of rain or bad weather, we will be walking to the upper course as the road will be impassable. Be prepared for .75 mile hike with 500 feet of elevation gain to the point the course begins. Potential for up to 2.5 mile round trip day 1 if we have to hike.
SUNDAY, JUNE 11TH
- 6:00AM – Meet at Sheep Mountain staging area
- 6:30AM – Hunters to stages
- 7:00AM – Intended time to begin hunting steel (8 Stages)
- 11:00AM – Intended time of Day 2 completion
- Awards begin immediately after match completion. Meal Provided.
- Location of Awards: TBA
TARGET ACQUISITION (identity type / amongst terrain)
OVERALL CHALLENGE (difficulty level)
Millstone Pizza & Brewing
Wy Thai (personal favorite!)
Cody Cattle Company
Pat O’Hara Brewing Company
$$$ The Cody – (307) 587-5915
$$$ Best Western Premier Ivy Inn & Suites – (307) 587-2572
$$ The Holiday Inn – (307) 587-3654
$ Cody Legacy Inn and Suites – (307) 587-6472
- $ KOA Campground – (307) 587-2369
- North Fork Campground is located in Buffalo Bill State Park right next to the turn-off point from the Highway. Campgrounds around Cody fill early this time of year, so make reservations well in advance!
- There are no camping or trailer sites available on site, but some BLM land is available nearby along the shores of Buffalo Bill Reservoir (watch the boundaries with state park, which requires a fee). Please stay north and east of Stagecoach trail to avoid camping down range! Be aware, there are grizzlies in the area!
Cody, WY – Yellowstone Regional Airport
Billings, MT – Billings-Logan International Airport (2 Hour Drive)
Rocky Mountain Discount Sports
*All information provided as a service, we strongly advise that all potential competitors do their own travel planning and research to find what works best for them individually!